Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday #4 - Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes To Romances In Books


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish where we can post lists of our top ten bookish things of the week. This week's theme is " Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes To Romances In Books"

I actually have quite an extensive list about what I like and dislike in book romances, so narrowing that down to ten is gonna be difficult... but I'll try :D Today's top ten Tuesday will be split into two parts: 5 things I like in romance novels and 5 things I dislike in romance novels!

5 Things I dislike when it comes to book romances
  1. When the protagonist (usually female) acts like she just couldn't live without her male protag;
  2. When couples go from 0 to soooo in love in the span of a few chapters;
  3. When a relationship feels forced between two characters (or the author tries to make you see that these two people are absolutely destined for each other when they barely get along, fight all the time, etc.);
  4. When the two characters never have any conversations with each other than 'I love you so much forever and ever'. Like, are you two actually friends or?
  5. When the romantic pairing's relationship is built entirely on fighting/insulting each other. Same point as before. These characters need to actually get along on some level for me to start shipping them, you know?
5 things I love when it comes to book romances
  1. When the two characters are so well-written that it would be impossible to see them with anyone else (aka Magnus & Alec from The Mortal Instruments series);
  2. When the author writes in cute little moments with the pairing, even if it doesn't necessarily fit in with the plot, just so we can see how well they work together;
  3. When one character steps in to defend/protect the other even when the other is perfectly capable of protecting themselves.
  4. When the characters in a ship are sarcastic/tease each other at times
  5. A ship always gets bonus points from me if one or both of the characters are on the LGBT+ spectrum because there really needs to be more of that in YA litterature.
What are your top ten pet peeves or likes in book romances? Do you share any with me? Comment below!

1 comment:

  1. It's good to see instalove getting so much hate today. It's such a tired, stupid, cloying, lazy plot device, and not realistic at all.

    It's also nice to see one of the characters protecting the other, particularly if it's a role reversal and the woman protects the man.

    ReplyDelete