Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday #5 - Top Ten Book-Related Problems I Have

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by  The Broke and Bookish where we can post lists of our top ten bookish things of the week. This week's theme is "Top Ten Book-Related Problems I Have"

Again, this is something that I have lots of, so this list was easy enough to conjure up.

  1. ePub or Hardcopy?: I actually struggle with this quite a bit. Some books, I don't mind getting on my eReader because they're books I'm not sure about, or they're just too hard to find. But then there are others (*cough* Throne of Glass *cough*) where I start reading them on my eReader (because I got them on sale or w/e) and then I just love them so much that I need them. Badly. This is why I waited a month for the Throne of Glass series to arrive from Amazon. It's a serious problem, truly.
  2. Going to the library to get a book only to find out someone else has just taken out that book. This has happened to me a few times, and actually just a few weeks ago. My library doesn't have a huge YA section as others do, but they did have Jandy Nelson's I'll Give You the Sun which I wanted to read since it'd just won the Printz award. So I was super ready to read it, it had never been borrowed from the library before so I thought I'd be okay and then... someone had taken it out. I hate when this happens, it's so frustrating, especially because I was soo in the mood to read it.
  3. Lending books to people. Though I've mostly stopped lending out my books to others, except for the few of my closest friends who I know will take care of my books, when I was younger, I was a lot more liberal with who I lent my books to. I just thought it was a nice way to get to know people and make friends. But more often than not, those people would return my books with ripped covers, pages, and even once "I dropped Pepsi on it, sorry" without offering to replace it. I want to be nice and share my books with people to strike up a conversation, and I feel bad when I say they can't borrow a certain book, but it's just that a few people have mistreated my books and now I have a deep distrust of anyone other than my best friend.
  4. Different covers. I'm the type of person who sees the UK/other country version of a book that I really like and automatically want ever single cover of that book. My True Love Gave to Me and the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series are a perfect example of this. I have the American covers but also adore the UK cover (and Stephanie Perkins made my life more difficult by releasing a second UK cover of MTLGTM). My budget really can't handle this type of cover love but I just have this need.
  5. Buying books on a whim. This is one of my biggest problems. I do this all the time. I'm at a bookstore (usually a Used Bookstore) and I see a book with a pretty cover and Oh! it's only two dollars! Why not? And that's how I accumulate half of my TBR list, even if I might never actually read said book.
  6. Space. The entire reason I bought an eReader is because I had officially ran out of space in my bookshelf. It was so cluttered that I just could not fit anything else into it. So I'm always trying to find places to stick more books (including floating wall shelves and desk space) There are books everywhere in my room and it can sometimes become a problem
  7. I can't get rid of anything. I'm a book hoarder. I'll admit it. I have a hard time parting with books, even if I've had them for 3+ years and I've never given them a second thought. I always think 'but I'm gonna want to read it soon' or 'what if I miss it when I don't have it anymore?' This results in #6's problem; no space because there are books there that are taking up space for no reason. Some books I have a special attachment to, even if I won't read them again, but then there's some that are there doing literally nothing. And it's a problem because even getting rid of those feels like ripping out a piece of my heart.
  8. Not being in the mood to read anything. As a reader, most of you probably know about this. The reading slump. Times when, no matter how many books you pick up (even your tried and true faves) you just can. Not. Read. Anything. This either comes from a book hangover (like I had after I read Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare - I couldn't read for a whole year) or because you're in the mood to read a certain kind of book that you just cannot find.
  9. DNF-ing books. Another thing I struggle with. If I don't like the book, I will hang on to the threads of what I do like about it for dear life and keep reading till the end (Graceling by Kristen Cashore, perfect example). I can't just finish a book midway. I feel bad and I feel like I've wasted money in buying that book and I want to try and hold onto it. I feel like I owe it to the book to try. I haven't DNF-ed that many books for this exact reason.
  10. Ignoring responsibilites. While reading doesn't necessarily make me turn things in late, it definitely makes me not want to work on what actually needs to be worked on - for example, I'm putting off finishing history homework right now in favour of finishing Heir of Fire. I have more than enough time before the due date to finish it, but I honestly cannot bring myself to think about it right now because all I'm thinking about is the book. This happens for a lot of series.
What are your bookish problems? Do we share any? Leave your comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment